Lipofilling (Fat Grafting) for the body (Breast and Butts)
Lipofilling or Fat Grafting / Transfer is a procedure used to augment areas such as breasts and buttocks to give them the desired shape and volume. It is akin to playing Robin Hood where one takes fat from an area of the body that has an excess of it and transfers it to the area that needs it!
Who can go for this procedure?
- Healthy women with a normal mammography
- Someone looking at an enlargement of the breasts or buttocks, or restoration of breasts to pre-pregnancy size and shape
- Someone who has adequate fat for transfer
How does the procedure work?
The procedure is performed under local/general anaesthesia and involves following steps:
- The first step is harvesting fat from pre-selected areas such as the lower abdomen, inner thighs or love handles. This is done using minimally invasive liposuction (keyhole) with a special cannula that is designed to limit damage to the fat cells.
- The next step is isolating and purifying the fat cells, or as we call processing the fat and optimising it for transfer.
- The final step is injecting these fat cells into the desired area- the breasts or buttocks or back of the hand (to make them look youthful again) that need to be enhanced.
The procedure typically takes 3-6 hours.
Why opt for a fat transfer?
- Fat transfer is the most natural augmentation method since the fat being used is from your own body.
- You don’t have to worry about having a foreign body inside you.
- You save yourself the concerns about the complications arising out of implants.
- It serves a dual purpose of helping you get rid of some of the unwanted fat from areas such as your thighs or abdomen by using that for the proc
What is the recovery time?
The initial recovery time is 1-3 days. Any swelling or soreness subsides within the first few weeks. You can resume work within a week and exercise within a month or as per your doctor’s advice.
If the size of your breasts and buttocks has been on your mind, and if you have some stubborn fat to transfer, lipofilling is the solution you must consider!